Early Norway NY Civil Marriage Records
Herkimer County, NY
From Norway Tidings, Vol. 3, No. 6, June 1889
This primary source material comes from the compilation of issues of Norway Tidings, reprinted in 1987 by the Kuyahoora Valley Historical Society. Norway Tidings was a subscription newspaper of history and current events published between January 1887 and December 1890.
"A majority of the old time marriages were performed by justices of the peace. It was deemed quite as "tony and stylish" to get Squire Manley, Ferris or Smith to tie the nuptial knot as to employ a clergyman for the occasion. The justices named kept a record of marriages; those of Ferris and Smith we fortunately possess and herewith give our readers."
MARRIAGES PERFORMED BY SQUIRE SILVANUS FERRIS
Here follows the Ferris list:
"A record of marriages performed by me, Silvanus Ferris:"
- June 12th, 1808. Isaac Worden to Ruth Austen, both of Norway.
- August 28th, 1808. John Potter to Dorcas Sickles, both of Norway.
- Oct. 15th, 1809. Chauncey Andrews to Asseneth Lee, both of Norway.
- Dec. 24th, 1809. Waterman Sweet of Salisbury to Amie Bly, of Norway.
- Jan. 28th, 1810. John Cane to Cynthia Clark, both of Norway.
- Dec. 10th, 1810. James Giles to Elizabeth Olmstead, both of Norway.
- May 28th, 1811. Amos Himes to Ruth Reese, both of Norway.
- Feb. 2d, 1812. William Reynolds to Betsey Giles, both of Norway.
- Feb. 18th, 1813. Anson Ives to Ruthem Smith, both of Norway.
- Oct. 2d, 1814. Silvanus Gage of Fairfield to Phebe Dorman, of Norway.
- Dec. 4th, 1814. Mr. Tuttle of Salisbury to Abigail Shepard of Norway.
- Dec. 18th, 1814. John Hall 3d to Abigail Luther, both of Norway.
- Dec. 31st, 1815. Samuel G. Babbitt to Betsey Salisbury, both of Norway.
- Jan. 19th, 1816. Lewis Rayner to Christina Sickles, both of Fairfield.
- March 3d, 1816. Bennajah Dorman to Polly Smith, both of Norway.
- March 6th, 1816. Mr. Forward of Canada to Betsey Thorp of Jerseyfield.
- Aug. 29th, 1816. Thomas Hall to Wayle Hall, both of Norway.
- Sept. 4th, 1816. Adam Abels to Polly Tompkins, both of Norway.
- Dec. 8th, 1816. Oliver Whitford to Polly Vandenburgh, both of Norway.
- Dec. 22d, 1816. Thomas Matteson to Peggy Potter, both of Salisbury.
- March 6th, 1817. John Smalley of Onondaga county to Hannah Barnes of Norway.
- May 30th, 1817. Oliver Hall to Mary Hall, both of Norway.
- July 19th, 1817. John Rathbun of Norway to Sally Austin of Salisbury.
- Aug.31st, 1817. Alfred Ackley of Black River to Parthena Tillinghast of Norway.
- Sept. 15th, 1817. William Ayres of Fairfield to Jemima Potter of Salisbury.
- Nov. 2d, 1817. Gardner Luther to Sally Woolever, both of Norway.
- Jan. 1st, 1818. John Hemingway to Waite Spink, both of Norway.
- March 12th, 1818. Joel DuBois to Savilla Vaname, both of Norway.
- Aug. 5th, 1818. Alvah Brocket of Salisbury to Eunice Smith of Norway.
- April 25th, 1819. Fuller Eaton of Newport to Laura Tree, a widow of Fairfield.
- April 25th, 1819. Benjamin Austin of Salisbury to Betsey Luther of Norway.
- March 23d, 1820. George Comstock to Sarah DuBois, both of Norway.
MARRIAGES PERFORMED BY SQUIRE JARED SMITH
Esquire Smith's list is later and not so long as that of Ferris:
"List of marriages performed by Jared Smith, Esq."
- Jan. 4th, 1816. Pardon Tillinghast to the Widow Canfield.
- Jan. 11th, 1816. Samuel Brainard to Anne Dike.
- Jan. 21st, 1816. Thomas Comstock to Betsey Rymph.
- Aug. 25th, 1816. William Popple to Catharine Tompkins.
- Dec. 15th, 1816. William Austin to Widow Jeffards.
- Aug. 24th, 1817. Alvah Tanner to Betsey Garner.
- Oct. 1st, 1817. Joseph Bly to Polly Legg.
- Nov. 23d, 1817. Danforth Doty, Jr. to Lucinda Doty.
- Dec. 3d, 1817. Edmund C. Pullman to Betsey Barber.
- Dec. 9th, 1817. Stephen Avery to Widow Manson.
- Dec. 23d, 1817. Benjamin Hall to Barbary Whitford.
- Dec. 8th, 1818. ___ Simons to Nancy Potter.
- May 2d, 1819. Harvey Willoughby to James Giles' daughter.
- Dec. 29th, 1819. Simon Vaname to Polly Mow.
- April 16th, 1820. John Becker to Maria Underhill.
- May 14th, 1820. Joshua Plumb to Sally Johnson.
- Sept. 2d, 1820. David Kibbe to Amelia Nutt.
- March 4th, 1821. John Vaneps to Betsey How.
- April 25th, 1822. Jarius Bunnell to Mrs. Paul.
- April 28th, 1822. George Morse to Rachel Ives.
- Oct. 28th, 1822. Alvah Hemingway to Mrs. Barnes.
- Jan. 26th, 1823. Ira Shed to Anna Cook.
Further information about Captain/ Justice of the Peace Jared Smith