of the Towns of Russia and Wilmurt,
Herkimer County, NY
Donated by Judy Alam
Further online research by Lisa Slaski
Additional info provided by Leatrice Doolen
RENSALEAR COMFORT HASKELL was born in 1800; he died in 1845. He married RUTH CARPENTER who was born in 1801 and died in 1860. They had a number of children; by 1840 there were 5 sons and 4 daughters, with one daughter dying young (assuming all the children in these census records are theirs). However, as he died before 1850 and she hasn't been located yet in this census, it's difficult to tell who their children are. Online there are 3 children attributed to Comfort: William, Warren and Truman.
1. WILLIAM ROSELL HASKELL was born in August 1841, though his gravestone states 1831 (the 1900 census gives Aug 1841 and is more consistent with other census records and his age at enlistment in the Civil War). He died in 1911 and was buried Feb 9th. He was married about 1868 to MINERVIA DORCUS PAULL, daughter of JACOB PAULL and ISABELLA VENTON. She was born in 1847 and died in 1910 (though the 1900 census gives her date of birth as Aug 1851). In the 1900 census she is said to have borne 6 children with 5 surviving.
William served in the Civil War in company B, 152 NY Vol Infantry. He enlisted at age 22 on 25 Jul 1862 as a Private. He was promoted to Corporal on 1 Dec 1864 and again promoted to Sergeant on 1 Jul 1865 and was mustered out with his company in Washington, DC on 13 Jul 1865. He applied for a pension on 4 Aug 1902 (Application No. 1288986; certificate No. 1064707).
"I THINK they lived in Cold Brook area - which was in Town of Russia at that time - perhaps still is." - Judy
Children of WILLIAM HASKELL and MINERVIA PAULL are:
2. ISABELLA HASKELL was born abt 1868.
3. TRUMAN R HASKELL Mar 1871
4. ELMER P. HASKELL Aug 1873
5. unknown child died young
6. BERTHA HASKELL was born in Apr 1879, m. abt 1899 to Truman R. Brown
7. JOHN FERRIS HASKELL was born in 8 June 1883 or 1884.
3. TRUMAN R HASKELL was born in March 1871 and died in 1960, though his gravestone and cemetery records give a year of birth of 1869 (he is not in the 1870 census with his parents and is age 9 in 1880 and gives Mar 1871 in the 1900 census as his birth). He was married about 1901 to GEORGIANA WORDEN. She was born in 1885 and died in 1921. He lived first in Wilmurt as a keeper of a sportsman's lodge. They moved to the area of Holland Patent by 1920 and in 1930 he was a partner in a garage with his son "T. Worden".
Children of TRUMAN HASKELL and GEORGIANA WORDEN are:
7. TRUMAN WORDEN HASKELL, b. 18 Jan 1904, d. Dec 1970 m. Ethel Wood
8. DORCAS M. HASKELL, b. 16 Oct 1906?, d. 6 Jul 1978, m. Harry N. Stockhauser
9. GLENDORA S. HASKELL, b. 9 May 1908, d. 19 Oct 1977, m. Lyman T. Williams
10. MARY E. HASKELL, b. 31 Jul 1910, d. 8 Oct 1981, m. Donald E. Potter
11. FRANCES E. HASKELL, b. 10 Nov 1913, 16 Dec 1982, m. Ralph Kessler
12. ALICE E. HASKELL, b. 23 Apr 1915, d. 13 Mar 1995, m. Wallace A. Jones
13. GLEN E. HASKELL, (twin) b. 23 Nov 1919, d. 4 Dec 1991, m. Elizabeth Hinge
14. KATHERINE E. HASKELL, (twin) b. 23 Nov 1919, m1. Merwin R. Pritchard, m2. Ned Cookingham
15. JUNE G. HASKELL, b. abt 1922
4. ELMER P. HASKELL was born in 1872 and died on October 27, 1940 in Prospect, NY. He married HELEN HURTER on September 20, 1906 in Ohio Methodist Church, Ohio, NY Helen was born in 1885 in Morehouse, NY, and died on February 16, 1939 in Prospect, NY.
Children of HELEN HURTER and ELMER HASKELL are:
16. WILLIAM ROSELL HASKELL, b. 4 Oct 1908, d. 6 Feb 1987
17. BERTHA RUTH HASKELL, b. 10 Sep 1910, d. 15 Mar 1992, m1. Carl Flansburg, m2. Frederick Kelley
18. GEORGE E. HASKELL (John's twin), b. 24 Jan 1913, d. May 1972, m. Helen Stewart
19. JOHN F. HASKELL (George's twin), b. 24 Jan 1913, d. 11 Sep 1964, m. Hilda Troper
20. HELENA M. HASKELL, b. 14 Nov 1916, d. 30 Jul 1990, m1. Kenneth Miller, m2. Kenneth Christman
21. TRUMAN B HASKELL, b. 1 May 1919, d. 18 Nov 1981, m. Mildred E. Orr
6. BERTHA HASKELL was born Apr 1879 and was married about 1899 to TRUMAN R. BROWN.
Children of BERTHA HASKELL and TRUMAN BROWN are:
22. MARSHALL F. BROWN, b. 6 Dec 1900, d. 16 Jul 1976, single
23. PAUL HASKELL BROWN, b. 30 Aug 1902, d. 24 Feb 1964, m. Iola Odit
24. CAPITOLA A. BROWN, b. 8 Apr 1914, d. 25 Nov 1986, m. Howard Allen
25. ELENORA D. BROWN, b. 11 Mar 1916, d. 1 Jun 2001, m. Warren Hegeman
26. GEORGIANNA BROWN, b. about 1917
27. LYDIA MAY BROWN, b. about 1919
7. JOHN FERRIS HASKELL was born 8 Jun 1883 or 1884 (1900 census states '83, WWI record states '84). In 1910 he was a woodsman cutting logs in Wilmurt. He was drafted 11 Nov 1918. He was sent to Camp Humphreys but was returned before reaching camp (Peace Day) and was honorably discharged.
8. DORCAS M. HASKELL was born 16 Oct 1906 a daughter of Truman and Georgiana Worden Haskell. She was married in 1923 in Utica to HARRY N. STOCKHAUSER. He was born 29 Mar 1900 and died Mar 1985. They resided in Barneveld, NY. They had a son and a daughter. Dorcas attended the Unitarian church in Barneveld and was a member of its Women's Alliance. Dorcas' funeral was arranged by Joan G. Ackley Funeral Home of Remsen.
10. MARY E. HASKELL was born 31 Jul 1910 in Wilmurt a daughter of Truman and Georgiana Worden Haskell. In 1946 she was married to DONALD E. POTTER in Vermont. Donald was born 23 Jul 1913 and died in Aug 1980. She was of the Methodist faith and died in St. Luke's Memorial Hospital, Utica, NY on 8 Oct 1981. She was buried in Prospect cemetery, Prospect, NY. Mary and Donald Potter had at least one daughter and four sons. Mary's funeral arrangements were performed by John G. Ackley Funeral Home
13. GLEN E. HASKELL was born 23 Nov 1919 a son of Truman and Georgiana Worden Haskell and twin brother of Katherine Haskell. He was born in the Octagon House in Barneveld. He attended Remsen schools and served in WWII in the US Army 45th Infantry Division. He was married in Sep 1946 to ELIZABETH HINGE. Glen was superintendent of Hinge Construction Co. in Barneveld for 28 years. He and his wife "Betty" were known for the fine-crafted pottery. They had 9 children. Glen died 4 Dec 1991 (was predeceased by his wife) and his funeral was arranged by George W. Koerner Funeral Home in Holland Patent.
16. WILLIAM ROSELL HASKELL was born 4 Oct 1908 in Wilmurt a son of Elmer and Helen Hurter Haskell. We all knew him as "Bucky". Bucky married MAUDE FIRTH on 3 Dec 1933 at Piseco Lake, NY. She was born on 8 Oct 1906 in the Town of Russia NY. He died on 6 Feb 1987 at Faxton Hospital, Utica, NY. He lived in Poland, NY and is buried in Poland Cemetery. William's funeral arrangements were performed by Autenrith Funeral Home of Newport.
Child of WILLIAM HASKELL and MAUDE FERTH is:
27. CHARLOTTE BOUDIN
Bucky worked for Poland Central School. For many years, Maude had a gift shop in her front room in her house in Poland. Every year, Bucky and Maude had a huge garden and Maude canned and canned all late summer and fall: pickles, tomatoes, onions, squash, peas..... We did not buy those things at the store in tin cans - we always had jars and jars of Maude's vegetables to eat.
Arlene Lawson on Bucky's Ski Car
Bucky was a great practical joker. Once he arrived at camp before my father and checked the traps they had set. He found a cat/panther in the trap. He took the dead cat and propped it up with a couple of sticks. When my dad got there, Bucky told him he would have to check the traps...so out Dad went. When he bent to go under a big tree limb and took a step forward, he looked right up at the propped up cat. I guess he shot it a couple of times before he realized it was already dead. Bucky hooted about that for years and told the story many times.
Tommy Lawson, Maude, and Bucky Tobogganing
Each year on Memorial Day weekend, we would have a "picnic" at Uncle George's camp - which belonged now to Bucky. It was a wonderful time. I enjoyed it from the time I was a young girl until I moved to Texas in 1987.
17. BERTHA RUTH HASKELL was born on September 10, 1910 in Wilmurt, New York. She died on March 15, 1992 in Faxton Hospital in Utica NY. She first was married abt 1827 to CARL FLANSBURG. Her second marriage was to FREDERICK KELLEY. He was born 12 Dec 1907; and died on 18 Nov 1971. Bertha is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery. Her husband Frederick is buried in Poland Cemetery.
Child of BERTHA HASKELL and CARL FLANSBURG is:
28. DEAN A. FLANSBURG, b. 27 Feb 1928, d. 22 Sep 2004
Child of BERTHA HASKELL and FRED KELLEY is:
29. CAROLYN KELLEY.
Mary Paull and Bertha
taken in 1961
18. GEORGE ELMER HASKELL was born 24 Jan 1913 in Wilmurt, NY a son of Elmer and Helen Hurter Haskell. In 1928 he married HELEN STEWART in Fort Edward. She was born 12 Nov 1916 and died in Sep 1980. He died in May 1972. They first had a grocery store and for the last 26 years of his life, they ran the "Haskell's Hotel" both in Piseco Lake, NY. They are both buried in Higgins Bay cemetery, Piseco, NY. They had one daughter and one son. George's funeral arrangements were performed by Ackley Funeral Home of Remsen.
Children of GEORGE HASKELL and HELEN STEWART are:
30. GEORGE STEWART HASKELL.
31. JEANNE HELEN HASKELL.
Arlene Lawson, George Haskell with son, "Skip" and wife, Helen
Taken at Big Sand beach at Piseco Lake
Behind Arlene and the Haskell's in this picture is a small bay and next to the bay is the road that travels along Piseco Lake. On the other side of the road is a hill covered with trees. In those trees was Bucky and Maude's camp. It was always cool there in the summer under the trees. Maude fed the wild raccoons. One spring a raccoon family with many little baby raccoons came to her back porch to get food. The little ones were so adorable and so tiny.
19. JOHN F. HASKELL (George's twin) was born 24 Jan 1913 in Wilmurt, New York, and died in 11 Sep 1964 and is buried in Poland Cemetery. John ran a hotel in Ohio, NY. He was married first to RUTH (last name unknown) and was married second in 1950 to HILDA PROPER. In 1987 Hilda was living (widowed) in Scotia, NY.
Children of JOHN HASKELL and HILDA PROPER are:
32. PAUL HASKELL.
33. PATRICIA HASKELL.
20. HELENA M. HASKELL was born November 14, 1916 in Wilmurt, New York, and died on July 30, 1990. She married KENNETH MILLER. Helena spent a number of years during the 1990's running a hotel/bar in Prospect, New York.
Children of HELENA HASKELL and KENNETH MILLER are:
34. ELMER MILLER.
35. HELEN MILLER.
36. KENNETH MILLER, jr.
37. CELESTE MILLER.
22. TRUMAN B. HASKELL was born on May 01, 1919 in Wilmurt, New York, and died on November 18, 1981 in Town of Brookfield, NY. He married MIDRED E. ORR on October 05, 1940 in Wells, NY. She was born on August 02, 1919 in Canajoharie, NY; and died on March 20, 1996 in Oswego NY Hospital.
Trum served in the military during WWII, fought in France
and was awarded a Purple Heart.
Child of TRUMAN HASKELL and MILDRED ORR is:
38. MARY LOUISE HASKELL.